This four-ingredient healthy summer recipe melds the tangy flavors of sun-ripe cherry tomatoes and farmer’s market-fresh basil leaves with the creamy texture of fresh mozzarella balls, the crunch of crispy polenta finished with a pesto drizzle.
- 1 cup instant polenta or 1 tube of prepared polenta
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 24 small mozzarella balls or vegan substitute
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce, regular or vegan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden skewers
Want more delicious inspiration delivered to your inbox? Join our Healthy Journey community and never miss a bite!
Prepare the Polenta
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add salt and pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the polenta and continue whisking until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the polenta onto a greased baking sheet or a flat dish and spread it evenly to create a 1/2-inch thick layer.
- Allow the polenta to cool completely and firm up, about 30 minutes.
Note: If you’re in a hurry, you can use prepared polenta.
Crisp the Polenta
- Once the polenta has firmed up, cut it into small squares or circles, around 1-1/2 inches in size.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the polenta to the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Assemble the Skewers:
- Take a wooden skewer and thread on a cherry tomato, followed by a basil leaf, a mozzarella ball, and finally, a square of browned polenta.
- Repeat this process until you have assembled all the skewers.
- Place the skewers on a serving platter.
Prepare the Pesto Drizzle:
- In a small bowl, combine the pesto sauce with a splash of olive oil. Stir well to loosen the pesto.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle and Serve:
- Just before serving, drizzle the pesto sauce over the Caprese skewers.
- Garnish the platter with additional basil leaves for an extra touch.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: You can also refrigerate the prepared skewers for a couple of hours before serving if you prefer to serve them chilled.